From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 15:43:29 -0500
The following article was in the Dec. 28, 1997 edition of the Columbus
Dispatch. I might be less disturbed were it not written by its *Medical
Reporter*, who should understand that a single person's anecdote isn't
proof of a thing. I do feel sorry for his daughter and family; I have a
sick 16mo now and I know how hard it can be for the whole family when a
little one is sick. Still, I don't think this column is fair. Please read
it all -- IMO, it gets worse near the end.

I wonder how many prospective parents will be influenced by this in this
very conservative city. I'm also concerned about his representation of LLL
as a political/activist organization; I would hate to see women turned away
from the support and encouragement they could get there.

My husband thought it might be best to *not* mobilize you folks, because
the author seems to be expecting "La Army" to be called out. But this paper
has been extremely unsupportive of BFing and plugs local Ross Lab's
products consistently, and I'm tired of being the sole voice of dissension.
This author refers to himself as a "friend" of BFing and seems to be making
an effort to be fair, so I do want to be diplomatic -- but I hate to let
this pass without comment.

The author can be reached at [log in to unmask], and letters to the
editor can be sent to [log in to unmask] Here it is:
-------------------------------------

Headline: Health benefits of nursing evade this toddler, by Mark D.
Somerson, medical reporter for The Dispatch

Caroline is sick again.

Actually, my younger daughter has been fighting a series of nasty bugs on
and off for about a month.

Her nose is runny, she coughs like an emphysema patient, and her forehead
is hot. She is not sleeping.

Caroline is 19 months old and has been sick for about 40 percent of her
life. She has had fevers, croup, three ear infections, pneumonia, and the
flu. Oh yeah, she had chicken pox.

Why is she so *lucky*? I wish I knew. She has been breast-fed since her
first few hours. My wife is still breast-feeding Caroline.

Our 4-year-old, Mara, was not breast-fed. She didn't get her first cold
until she was 13 months old. Since then, she has had her share of minor
colds, but nothing like Caroline.

We felt guilty not going the natural route with Mara. All the doctors,
nurses and books -- including the series of _What Expecting Parents Should
Expect When They Are Expecting the Unexpected_ books -- say breast-feeding
is a great idea.

In theory, I agree. It is a great idea. After all, mothers have found it to
their liking since, well, since there have been mothers.

Still, Mara didn't get sick, and she has faced no lasting consequences from
her bottle experience.

Then came Caroline, and my wife decided to breast-feed. The breast-feeding
helpers at the hospital were happy. Caroline was happy.

But within a month, Caroline had a cold. Then came the first ear infection.
At 6 months, she was diagnosed with pneumonia.

Today, we don't consider our fridge well-stocked unless there is a bottle
of amoxicillin next to the eggs.

**My comment on the above paragraph: Could that be part of their problem?**

Maybe Caroline has been sick because Mara is in preschool. Sure, she brings
home her share of germs in addition to her fingerpainting creations every
other day, but breast milk is supposed to boost infants'  immune systems so
they can fend off infection better.

The American Academy of Pediatrics says breast-feeding's advantages include
decreasing the incidence of infant ear infections, allergies, diarrhea and
bacterial meningitis. It may also protect against childhood lymphoma, SIDS
and diabetes.

Or maybe we haven't sheltered Caroline as we did Mara during her first few
months. I think new parents tend to overprotect their first child, and by
the time No. 2 comes along, they are too busy to keep all the potential
nasties away. On to the mall, bank, and grocery store -- and to preschool
to pick up sister.

Now it is time for my personal disclaimer: *I am not against
breast-feeding.*

(That's right, La Leche League. I am a friend. Do not call out La Army.)

I think breast-feeding is wonderful. It creates a strong bond between
mother and child, and comes highly recommended. Hey, I would do it if I
could.

In addition to helping infants, breast-feeding mothers reduce their risk of
ovarian cancer, early breast cancer and postmenopausal hip fractures, the
AAP says.

Great.

Earlier this month, the academy urged mothers to breast-feed for at least a
year -- six months longer than previously advised.

** My comment: No, no, no.**

"In addition to  individual health benefits, breast-feeding provides
significant social and economic benefits to the nation, including reduced
health care costs," the academy wrote in this month's issue of its journal
_Pediatrics_.

According to the academy, about 60 percent of new mothers breast-feed,
though only about 20 percent continue beyond six months. The group wants to
boost that to at least 75 percent initially, hoping that 50 percent will
continue through the first six months.

As a medical writer, I think it's a good idea and a great goal. Personally,
however, I wonder what the heck is going on with my daughter.

I hope she is the exception to the rule. I am sure there are plenty of
children who are, or were, bottle-fed and get more than their share of
illnesses.

Still, why Caroline? My wife is healthy. She doesn't smoke or drink. She
limits caffeine and even cut out spicy foods.

**My comment: Do any medical professionals out there have ideas on how to
answer his question about why Caroline? BTW, is there any indication at all
that cutting out spicy foods might help the daughter? I don't like leading
readers to believe there is.**

I guess we will just continue to scratch our heads, wipe Caroline's nose,
and bite our tongues when expectant parents ask our opinion.
The last paragraph really bothered me. For one thing, publishing an article
in a major newspaper can hardly be considered biting one's tongue! Also, as
a summary for the article, it leaves a negative impression of BFing.

Janice Berry
Columbus, Ohio