From:
Bud & Linda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 08:45:16 -0500
Shannah,
First of all, congratulations on the birth of your son!  My own daughter was
born back in February, 6 weeks early.  I wish I had more personal experience
to help you with your nursing problems, but Jennifer was only in the
hospital for one week, and I was able to go 'cold turkey' back to the breast
once we were home.  Jennifer did have a very weak suck though at first.  She
got bottles in the hospital, and only breastfed maybe a couple of times
while in.  What I did at home to get her interested was hand express
directly into her mouth until she would latch on.  Some feedings she
wouldn't really latch, and I pretty much pumped it all into her mouth.  Are
you getting a good letdown while he is on?  Can you try to get that before
you bring him to the breast?  I found that Jennifer just didn't have the
strength to nurse very well, but I would let her get what she could, and
then just try to feed her more frequently if she didn't take much.  How much
milk had you been pumping versus how much your son was taking in the
bottles?  See I never had a 'supply' problem, as I was pumping about 3-4
ounces every 3 hours, and she was only taking 2-3 ounces every 4 hours!  If
you have been pumping more than he is taking, I would suggest just skipping
the bottles for a few feedings, and seeing if he is satisfied enough to wait
until the next, perhaps earlier feeding.  That would stimulate your supply
more too.  I hope this helps some!  I really can't answer more without more
information on what your supply is.  Please, email me if you want about
anything!  We didn't have the oxygen, but we did have the apnea monitor for
2 months.  I wish you the best of luck, and again congratulations!!

Linda Coleman, NMI