From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:40:15 -0500
I had a call as an LLLL the other night from a frantic new mother's sister
(the mom was driving the car, the sister on the car phone!).  They were on
their way home from the hospital 2 days postpartum and needed to get a breast
pump PRONTO.  We talked a minute or two and I told them where the nearest
pump rental depot was, not two miles from my house.  It is in a drug store,
so no LC help was going to be available for this mom.
  The frustrating thing?  Mom d/c from the hospital where she had given birth
- with NO breastpump except the manual in the discharge pack.  The baby had
been transferred to a Level III NICU about 15 minutes away, with an unusual
lymphatic problem.  Mom goes to the hospital where the baby is - and they
don't have any electric breastpumps and say that they don't know where she
can get one!!  Is that crazy?  I realize that there may have only been one
person on the floor at the NICU who dropped the ball (had inadequate info),
but how is this possible?  How can a NICU where there are sick and premature
babies not have breastpumps or know where to get them?  The mom only managed
to find my name because I am listed on my coLeader's answering machine, and
my coLeader was her childbirth instructor!
  I'd love some feedback on this situation.  Baby was not able to go to
breast and mom was up-to-her-armpits engorged and all the usual engorgement
treatments begun, but she needed to start pumping *in the absence* of
actually nursing the baby, no???  BTW, I am not an LC and don't rent pumps,
but gave her the name of several IBCLC in our area and can only hope she
finds one in town the week before Christmas, for the sake of her baby.

Lisa Jones, LLLL in Wellington FL