From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 04:15:14 -0500
<< I rarely use the SNS, because it...  won't help with the baby who
won't/can't latch...

I thought that too, until a certain baby.  Nothing worked consistently -
baby would attach occasionally with my help, but never for mom alone.  As a
last ditch effort, we tried an SNS on her very large, very flat-nippled
breast. The baby said, "Oh, you mean attach *here*!", and went right on.
That little whisker of stimulation apparently made all the difference to
both of them.

(The other thing I might have tried, in retrospect, was outlining her pale
areola w/ a marking pen.  The size, smoothness, and uniform color of her
breasts made it hard for her to know when she had the baby at ground zero.)

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY