From:
Mlevittrn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 00:23:10 EST
The topic of alcohol intake has been discussed ad nauseum, but I think the
most important point is that we don't want to make it seem like one can't live
a normal life while breastfeeding.  Like saying you have to have perfect
nutrition or be on a "special diet" while breastfeeding.  Unlike many of the
drugs that have been approved for use while breastfeeding, alcohol has been
with us for thousands of years.  I think it's true that we in the US can't
seem to be reasonable about it, as evidenced by the recent tragic deaths of
college students from gross amounts of alcohol.  Enjoying a glass of wine as
part of the aesthetic of dinner has nothing to do with falling down drunk.  I
like Kathy Auerbach's approach of talking about impairment of ability to
drive, take care of baby, etc.

     I have a question that is more of a curiosity than a problem.  A mother I
just saw for a consultation (the presenting problem was recurrent mastitis,
consulted me to try to prevent a further recurrence).  She mentioned in
passing that she experiences a tingling sensation in her jaw and neck on the
side she is nursing on, not related to let-down specifically, continues
throughout the nursing.  She said it's annoying but bearable and just wondered
about it.  Anyone hear of this?  Sounds like some kind of referred nerve
thing, what do you think?  No matter how long you do this, you always hear new
things!

    Miriam Levitt RN, IBCLC