Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 22:50:45 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Dear Ms. Miller,

I am very glad that you urge mothers to get in touch with LLL in their area for breastfeeding support and advice.  It truly can be a big help to mothers both before they give birth and after.  As both a perinatal nurse, and as a private LC, I encourage women to use the services of LaLecheLeague.

But I think you are wrong to urge moms to this venue on the grounds that hospitals won't or can't provide them with adequate assistance or correct information.  It is true, some hospitals in the US have not yet gotten LCs on staff, and do not have currently educated staff nurses.  But many, many hospitals do have exactly that, and in growing numbers.

The reason that moms should be in touch with LLL is to provide a different aspect of support than the hospital LCs, or even a private LC can give.  The LC, no matter how good she is, is still only one person.  She is not a support group, but a supportive, knowledgeable person who helps correct problems with breastfeeding, and reassure moms when things are finally on track.   LLL gives mom the support of peers, who have "been there, done that."   It gives her a lot of new and old breastfeeding moms to watch, learn from and share stories with.
As reassuring as it is to hear an LC say "that's normal," it is far more reassuring to have 20 other moms tell you they worried about the same thing, or had the same experience. 

So please, Please, PLEASE, continue to promote LLL to women through your catalogue.  But not at the cost of denying or negating the good that hospitals may be working to do.  

Sincerely,  Chanita Stillerman-Evans, San Francisco
                 BSc, RN, IBCLC

ATOM RSS1 RSS2