From:
Maureen White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 18:12:28 AST
     I recently had the priviledge of meeting with a total of about 75
     second year Pharm. students as part of 3-hour interactive
     interprofessional modules in our Faculty of Health Professions. We
     didn't talk much about pumps (!) but amid all the interest and genuine
     enthusiasm we heard the question " is it really alright for a
     pharmacist to be 'pro' breastfeeding, are we not required to be
     'neutral' ?" This was a very real concern  and the research evidence
     seemed "fanatical" to them. I know they are just beginning so I try to
     sympathize and facilitate their learning.  One strategy which seemed
     to generate some critical thinking about this conflict was the
     question "what is the "formula" for artificial baby milk"? and how
     does one decide which "formulation" might be best?  When students
     started talking about "trial and error" and "best guess" and "wait and
     see" some courageous students chimed in " and you want to compare that
     with "custom made ?" - I don't think so"! Out of the mouths of
     sophmores..? The concept about drug therapy which seemed to give them
     cause for reflection was the place for the "risk of artifical baby
     milk" in the equation which looks at risk to mother if she does not
     take the drug plus risk to the baby if she does. As a nursing educator
     I thoroughly enjoyed working with this keen interprofessional group of
     student health professionals and I can't help but wonder if we had
     more of this sort of education if we would have easier communication
     about breastfeeding issues in the future??
     All the best with the lectures!

     Maureen White, RN MN IBCLC in Halifax, NS