From:
Brian Maves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:25:40 +0900
I'm also searching this subject, so please bear with me if this has been
thoroughly covered before.

I've been working with a mom who has had her Dr.  tell
her repeatedly that her son needed to eat solids.  The boy was about 10mo
when this started and he had no interest.  Mom was even told to wean and
was considering it.  The mom did some research and felt that continued bf
was appropriate.  The problem:  Now, at 12mo, the baby's anemic!  His HCB
was 9 with a MCV of 72.  The "hospital" (I believe it's this same Dr) has
even said that he's anemic because he has never received formula (grrr).
The baby's diet has improved dramatically and he does eat a variety of
meats, cheeses, other table foods and sometimes fruits and vegetables. He
still nurses 4-5 times in a 24 hr period and drinks water or fruit juice
(now with iron supplement) at other times.

Any ideas why he became anemic?  Was it just the delay in solids or could a
recent illness and course of antibiotics have any corelation at all?

Mom is very bf aware, is married to an Internist and is even a fellow
Lacnut.  She (and I) await any wisdom you might have on this matter.

Gina Gile-Maves
LLL Leader
Misawa, Japan <[log in to unmask]>