Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 00:14:47 -0400
Kathleen A.
I have had one baby truly addicted to the S, he would not nurse without it
even at 16 months of age.  After he started solids, I recommended that mom use
1 ounce of water in the device.  She went on to use either 1 ounce of water, 1
ounce of soy formula, then later, one ounce of soy milk.  If the device were
closed off, he would not nurse.  That one ounce of water or soy was enough to
get him to nurse every time.  The ludicrous thing is that the original reason
for using this device was maternal distress, not anything wrong with the
infant.  The mom had suffered a neonatal loss (trisomy 18) and was unwilling
to trust her body to make enough milk.  She called me asking for it
specifically, and I did try to talk her out of it.  It was only after age 16
months that this little guy would nurse without the S.  My one and only such
case.
Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC