From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:30:53 -0500
To      : Jeanne Fisher
Re      : Isovue(iopamidol)

Iopamidol is a nonionic radiocontrast agent that is distributed between the
circulating plasma and extracellular fluid with no deposition in tissues.
Hence it is very unlikely to enter milk (but we have no data on this).

The volume of distribution is 0.35 L/kg (exceedingly low which means its
does not transfer into tissues very well). Iopamidol is excreted primarily
unmetabolized through the kidneys which means the parent molecule does not
release any free iodine.  Iopamidol serum concentrations drop to 2-3 mg/100
cc of plasma at 12 hours.  The apparent half-life is only 2 hours(which
means 98% would be gone in 10 hrs).

Further this product is routinely used in infants.

As for breastfeeding,  it is apparent that most is gone from the mom's
plasma in about 10-12 hours.  I believe it is very unlikely any would pass
into milk.  Further most in this family have no oral bioavailability.

Regards
Tom Hale, Ph.D.