From:
Welborn5 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 00:19:24 EST
Hello All,

This is my first post to Lactnet so please allow me to introduce myself.  I am
a hospital based lactation consultant. Our department is staffed by six
nurses, four of us IBCLC.  I am mother to three sons and grandmother to one
grandson (don't know what I'd do with a girl)  I have been reading Lactnet for
several months now and have enjoyed in immensely, and learned so much!  Thanks
to you all.

Now to my question.  I have been reviewing the literature for information
about syringe feeding.  Allow me to clarify what I mean by syringe
feeding..the supplementing of a newborn with a syringe and a syringe only.
The baby is not sucking on a finger or the breast while the feeding is taking
place.  Our neonatologists have asked for information about this and I have
found very little printed.   Do any of you have a reference for syringe
feeding?  Is this type of  feeding an accepted method for supplementing a
newborn?  Is the tip of the syringe placed just over the lower lip at midline
or is the syringe placed at the corner of the babe's mouth?   Any thoughts,
comments, and input are welcome.   Thanks for your time.  I look forward to
hearing from you wise people.

Judy Welborn RN, IBCLC
Greenwell Springs, LA