From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:43:16 +0100
>It turned out to be a minor
>positioning problem and just general new baby settling in.  But, this
>nurse (she wasn't IBCLC yet) told the mom that the baby should ONLY be
>nursing every 3 hours or so and if it was more often there was probably
>a problem...  She took the IBCLC exam and just told me today that she passed.

Are we producing some IBCLCs who learned the trees so well that they've
never noticed the forest?  Maybe we need a true/false "gatekeeper" section
at the beginning of the exam covering very fundamental bfing info and
attitudes.  Things like "The typical newborn breastfed baby needs to nurse
about every three hours,"  with all correct responses needed for a passing
grade.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL   Ithaca, NY