From:
Maureen Fjeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:00:24 -0700
First I would like to thank the two Kathleens for co-ordinating such a
marvelous vehicle of communication between us all.  I have been lurking off
and on for many months now and have found both information and contacts
from an international perspective absolutely phenomenal!  My husband Ron
and I have 3 children, Sonja 23, Cameron 21, and Ingrid 15; my mother in
failing health also lives with us.   I became involved with LLL before
Sonja's birth and we are forever grateful to have been immersed in that
'culture' of attachment parenting and of course extended breastfeeding, as
we learned to parent. I was a LLL Leader from 1976 to 1992 and in the PLD
as Administrator, for LLLCanada from 1985-92.  My background is in PT and
OT ; I became a childbirth educator, teaching at home for 11 yrs.. In 1986
I started doing professional consultations for breastfeeding families when
I,  with Carole Elliott's support,  founded the Calgary Breastfeeding
Clinic which is now re-named  the Calgary Breastfeeding Center, a private
community based service for both families and education of heaalthcare
professionals. ( It is now housed in Western Canada's first free-standing
Birth Center - what a privilege!)    I too wrote in the huge ballroom in
Chicago in 1987 and re-certified in the research pathway last year.
Presently I wear many volunteer hats,  as president of CLCA/ACCL , as
co-chair of the Breastfeeding Committee for Canada, and co-chair for the
BFHI/BFI Committee for Canada and on the Board of the Alberta BF Network -
I learned early that we all need to be strong advocates for breastfeeding
families if we really want to ensure significant changes at all levels for
the next generation and when we do our part as a team member it is both
personally gratifying and more effective. When I think back to how shy I
was at my first LLL meeting, I realize how empowering breastfeeding has
been for me personally as a woman.  When we believe in something so
important, passion can be a driving force - so many of you can relate to
that! My mentors in the past were PL Leaders, in Canada and in the US,
including Julie Stock.  Today my mentors are the midwives who are
pioneering in Canada and my colleagues Carole Elliott, Jennifer Peddlesden
and Jacki Glover - without their unfailing support I would have quit years
ago!  Ron and I square dance and we like to head to the mountains for
respite whenever we can.   I find it hard to keep up with reading but I
will try to contribute when possible.  Thank you all for being there,
My thoughts and prayers are with those in Eastern Canada recovering from
the ice-storm disaster
Maureen Fjeld, IBCLC
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
" BFHI/BFI Launch in Canada, November 18-21, 1998 Vancouver, B.C."