Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Patricia Gima, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:31:53 -0500
I, too, have had several clients whose babies latched on at around 3 months
after firmly refusing the breast 'till then.  Those moms kept pumping and
gently offering, then one day... Most were using bottles and no
"state-of-the-art" teats while those little ones "got ready" or forgot why
they didn't want to be at the breast.

I have worked with a few that came to that place at an earlier time, and in
*all* of the cases moms had the babies on their bodies a lot.  I had one who
did baths, skin to skin, baby on abdomen for naps, etc. and the baby did
latch sooner than some of the others. She had a good sense of her body and
felt that there was plenty of time to wait.

I've wondered if Chloe Fischer's lack of experience of nipple confusion can
be the acceptance of breastfeeding as a given; and moms whose babies are
reluctant to latch, keep offering, with the certainty that it will happen.
Whenever I have a client for whom there is NO alternative to breastfeeding,
latch on always comes.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
mailto:[log in to unmask]