From:
Denise Hartley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 23:58:38 PST
Richard Ferber's book "Solve your child's sleep problems" is a well written book with a lot of useful information and advice.  Successful breastfeeding AND a child who sleeps between feeds in their own bed (if that is what the parents choose) AND sleeps through the night from around 2 months of age can definitely go together.  Babies know how to go to sleep on their own from birth but a lot of parents are unaware of this and think they have to PUT THE CHILD TO SLEEP before putting it down (by breastfeeding, rocking, patting, use of dummies etc) thereby setting up a sleep association for their baby which sticks until broken by controlled crying or other method.  If the baby is simply allowed to go to sleep on their own right from birth and the various settling techniques are used to CALM the baby but NOT to put the baby to sleep, babies CAN and DO grow up simply going to sleep when tired without  any fuss. (That is given the baby is given adequate time at the breast and is correctly attached and positioned so is able to drain the breast effectively and in the absence of any medical problems).  I have worked in the Community for the past 12 months and have had to deal with numerous families at or near breaking point because of a child who does not sleep at night.  These babies are helped to re-learn how to go to sleep on their own and the whole picture looks remarkably different in only a few days.  The babies/children are happier, displaying more social behaviour with fewer tantrums, are eating better, and mum looks almost human again.  Some of these women have rung various breastfeeding experts who simply told them to feed the baby 2 hourly.  This only compounded their problems and added to their tiredness.  Also, there are a lot of mothers out there who wish to share their bed with their partner and not their children.  Unfortunately in our Western society, we have to consider the whole family when giving out breastfeeding advice.  There are many families around with no close extended family or close friends to give support, mums have shopping to do, banking to do and bills to pay, they have other toddlers who also need them, they have school age children to organise, and after school activities to take them to, they have partners who need them and they have their own time-out to consider.  I firmly believe that a FLEXIBLE routine for babies- once the early days are over and the breasts have settled to a supply and demand pattern - works extremely well in our culture (although would never push this on a woman if she did not like the idea) and feel that  women should be given this option also.