From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 16:33:08 -0500
<<ABM doesn't bother me, but who am I....... who are we to point out a SIN>>

I am another who will not be using the acronym "SIN", and you will not find a
stronger breastfeeding advocate than me on this earth.  I deal with so many
mothers who use ABM for a large variety of reasons, and if they are every
going to feel comfortable coming back to me for help and support I cannot
turn them off completely by referring to the product they are feeding their
baby as "SIN" and will not do this professionally either.  I want them to
breastfeed for as long as they can, and I make them feel comfortable coming
to me for help with partial/ mixed breastfeeding and ABM, and for weaning
help.  Many have thanked me for this attitude, saying they would have stopped
breastfeeding altogether if I had not encouraged and supported their efforts
to partially breastfeed.  ABM is a food product, not poison,  and and if
parents get the idea we think it is a sin to feed this to their children,
they will not seek or listen to our advice. They will see us as so far from
their point of view that the rest of our information must be suspect and
extreme too.  A little empathy is called for.  These parents do not live in a
vacuum, but in a society that has brainwashed them that ABM is "baby milk".
 To deprogram them we have to be convincing, but gentle.
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA