Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:19:13 EST
I think the discussion of how babies sleep is a never ending thing.  All new
mothers are asked almost the first day of the baby's life.  "How does she
sleep? Is she a good baby?"  This is another plug for LLL and prenatal
classes.  Parents to be need to realise that babies wake up at night. After
the birth of my first child I spent a great deal of time focusing on her lack
of sleep.  Day times she only slept one or two 15 minute naps, night time not
sleeping unless she was 'attached'.  I finally learned to let her be herself.
At 18 she still does not sleep in, although I haven't seen her in my room at
night for years.  The next baby I had decided to turn the clock around just
feed him.  He only nursed every 4 to 5 hours and nursed once maybe twice at
night.  My next Daughter almost followed her brothers pattern just a little
more frequency.  I was so smug I knew it all, just relax and they will sleep.
Then came Haley!!!  She was a high need, hold me baby. She nursed all the
time.  She would sleep 5 to 6 hours at night  but  widethen come awake at
2:30am and not go back to sleep for hours.  What does this mean?.  Could I
have Faberized my middle kids? Probably, but I wouldn't have dreamed of it.
The other two would  have screamed for weeks.  That is one of the great
advantages of being close and nursing your child on demand.   New Mothers get
to know their  child's personalities even in the first few weeks.  Why do
mothers need to be the one who feeds?  Because one person needs to get to know
this child intimately.  Then the baby expands to Dad, Siblings, and extended
family.  We are raising another child who did not get this from anyone.  What
a difference!  She tries to cuddle but can't quite relax.  She seems distant.
Her frustrations are many.  She needed to be cherished as an infant she missed
the most important part of life.  Is my house always full of peace and love
because I nurtured my babies?  No, it can be wild.  I loose my cool, I forget
to listen. But deep down I hope my kids remember that they were important
enough to be listened to from the moment of birth.

Sorry I got a little carried away.  I hope you are all ready for Christmas.
Haley (6) is already planning to sleep under the tree so she can see Santa.

Kim Hartwick LLL,  Homeschooling mother of Nik (15), Robin(10), Kelly(7), and
Haley(6), (Lindsay is in college), and part time worker in Husbands Dental
practice.  All of us are busy!!!