From:
Karen Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:28:55 -0500
I have mom of a 16 day old, who at 9 days presented with mastitis symptoms;
got treated by doctor, next day ended up in the hospital for 5 days with a
huge red breast and persistent high fever. Fever broke, she is home, baby
has nursed throughout, but the problem now is continual excretion of
stringy milk clots which can be a couple inches long, exuding out of
several nipple pores, causing lots of pain and nipple pore dilation with
some bleeding.

Question:  Have any of you seen this?  I have had a couple moms with
isolated "blebs"  with a string cheesey stuff that picks or pushes out, but
generally it is over and done with relatively quickly.  Do you know of what
could be causing this to continue on for now 5+ days of "discharge"?  The
breast is being well drained by baby and pump.

Any thoughts?

PS Thanks for info on the nursing toddler with herpes.

Karen Foard, IBCLC, in State College PA