From:
Sandy Hess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:50:01 -0400
Hello All,

Well, today I did it.  I asked the UPS guy just how much they make.
Starting salary (at least in the Virginia area) is $12.03/hr.  After two
years they make $19.95/hr.  Of course, they have to work in the
warehouse/shipping department for a while before they get to be drivers,
but I doubt it is as long as it takes us to become lactation
consultants.

No legal liability, no late night phone calls, no heartaches when one
sees a mother wean sooner than she wanted because of being given
inappropariate information and she is too tired to continue once she
brings you the broken pieces......health benefits, retirement, paid
vacation.......

The UPS driver may be well paid, but s/he never had a call from a mom
who just wanted to say "thanks...you made a difference and it meant a
lot to me".  The UPS driver never has a sense of satisfaction knowing
s/he made a difference in the health of a baby or its mom, even if
either of them ever realize it.  Yes, the UPS drive does deliver
important packages which can have a lifechanging effect on the
recipient.  Rarely does s/he know what's inside that package.  I always
do.  And it is this knowledge that keeps me going.

Sandy Hess