From:
Mary Alice Tinari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 21:06:18 -0500
Hi everyone,

Just came back from Duke University Parents Weekend where we visited
with my oldest son who is a freshman there.  At a very trendy coffee
bar, I noticed a young mom nursing her baby.  Of course, like Kathleen A
at the airport, I smiled at her warmly and was about to compliment her
on her lovely baby when my son told me about the following.  A few days
after classes started, Philip noticed young families pushing strollers
around the path that circles East campus.  They had balloons with the
LLLI logo on them.  As all the other frosh were wondering what these
families were doing, Philip, being the child of an LC, knew right away
what La Leche League was and in his excitement told one of the
organizers of the walk that his mom was a Lactation Consultant in
Pennsylvania.  This sweet woman hugged him, gave him balloons and went
on her way.  So here we have a very savvy freshman in college holding a
bunch of LLLI balloons.  Not wanting to explain to the group inside the
dorm what they were, he tied them to the park bench outside the dorm and
went inside. Back to the coffee house, the nursing mom heard his story
and instead of me complimenting her, she said her success with nursing
was due to the help she received from some LCs in Durham. Aren't we just
one big happy family???

Sooo, thanks to LLL of Durham NC for making my son feel at home.  Gee it
had been at least a month since he had heard my tales of woe in the
wonderful world of lactation....he was getting homesick for a good
healthy nursing baby!!  :-)   Mary Alice Tinari, outside of Phila where
the leaves are gorgeous.