Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 08:48:00 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Even if it does, we should kiss our children.  Better a cavity in a tooth, than a cavity in the 
heart.  It is not usual, though, in our part of the woods, to kiss children on the mouth.  

This reminds me that a few days ago, a Toronto plastic surgeon reported on the Canadian 
Broadcasting Corporation radio programme "As It Happens", that women who had breast 
reduction surgery had a 40% less risk of developing breast cancer.  Even if it is true that there 
is a decreased risk, which I doubt, this is not a reason for encouraging women to have this 
surgery.  The surgeon denied he would do it for this reason alone, but don't worry, others will 
not have the same scruples.  

I could not help responding that this approach was a denial of life.  It is an appalling comment 
on our society that the highest goal seems to be perfect *physical* health, at any cost--even 
diminishing physical health (by damaging the function of the breast). Public health has become 
the new religion, and, in many cases a far more demanding one than the old ones it has 
replaced.  Can't have steak without quietly saying a few "mea culpas".  Puritanism reigns 
again.  The logical conclusion is that it is better never to have been born, since the only way to 
avoid dying is never to have lived.

Okay, I use "public health" arguments to encourage women breastfeeding.  But the real value 
of breastfeeding, after all is said and done, is that it is an act of life enhancing joy and love.  

This is not a rant.  These are reflections, and I'm glad Lactnet is around.  Is this off topic?  

"Would the world ever have been made if its maker had been afraid of making trouble?  
Making life means making trouble."
        ‹GB Shaw. Pygmalion. Act V.  (Henry Higgins to Eliza Doolittle)

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

ATOM RSS1 RSS2