From:
rebecca b saenz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:26:07 -0500
I work with Family Medicine residents, teaching "lactation management"
among other things, in addition to running a BF consult service at the
tertiary medical center for our state.  Over the past several months I've
had several "discussions" with one particular resident who insisted that
 "it really doesn't make any difference how a baby is fed".  (After all,
his kids were artificially fed and did just fine, thank you.)  Up until
now, he'd automatically advise weaning for any hint of problem, before
signing out to supervisor.  Of course by then the damage is done.  Anyway,
today he called me to ask what to do about a two-week-old BF baby who's
spitting up. (Good weight gain/Mom had overactive let-down) "so that she
can keep breastfeeding."  We discussed positioning, etc.

Maybe we can educate the next generation of doctors, one at a time!

Becky Saenz, MD
Assistant Professor
University of MS Medical Center
Department of Family Medicine