Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:40:29 -0500
To  :  Sara Reuning
Re :   Beta______

Concerning the patient with Multiple Sclerosis.  Your question concerned
the medication that started with a Beta.   It is most likely Betaseron
which is Interferon Beta - 1B.  It was recently introduced several years
ago for the treatment of MS.

Interferons are secreted in normal milk and probably function as an
antiviral,  but we do not yet know if exogenously administered interferon
(high dose) is secreted in human milk.  It has a rather short plasma
half-life and rather large size,  so I really doubt that it is,  but we do
not know for certain.  It is probably bioavailable orally, as we have some
studies that suggest it is.

I just this week received samples from a patient undergoing Interferon
Alpha therapy.  I hope to know within a week,  as to the amount transferred
into human milk.  Maybe then I can get back to you.

Regards
Tom Hale