From:
Keli M Sorrentino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 20:25:50 -0400
Laurie,

Sorry for the delay in my response.

Stress and over-doing it are definite factors in masitis ( in my
experience ). Is this woman working ( besides being a mom that is ) ?
Encourage her to slow down as much as possible - this is usually the
hardest thing to do !!! But, in my ( and my senior midwife's )
experience, the best preventative is nursing often and not doing too much
or getting too stressed. I know, hard to do with a toddler and a new
baby.

She can't take echinacea all the time as a preventative but she can keep
it on hand and start taking it as soon as she feels something is up. She
can then take 1 dropperful 3X/day but shouldn't take it for more than ten
days. And, she can increase her vit C to 1500-2000 mg/day. But, if she is
noticing a hard/red/hot spot or anything else that indicates an episode
might be starting, along with the echinacea and vit C she should take off
her and the babies clothes, get into bed and nurse, nurse, nurse. At
least, maybe she can nip it in the bud.

What natural approaches has she already tried ?

Keli