Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:51:20 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Amy --

There might be other things causing gassiness and fussiness besides a dairy problem, but even for that it takes AT LEAST TWO WEEKS  to clear the system.   Wheat or peanuts in mom's diet may cause a problem.

Also, the problem might not be what the baby or mom is eating, at all.

Attended a really super lunch time lecture yesterday regarding chiropractics and breastfeeding, talking about how chiropractics can help the babies who have suck problems, or other problems, all related to spinal kinks from prenatal position, or the birth process, or after; and how, often, a very few gentle adjustments can help correct them.  There was a graphic example of a baby (maybe two months old) at the lecture who was having a tummyache, unrelieved by anything mom was doing.  The chiropractor held the baby, found the tight spot at her mid/lower spine and released it.  Baby was still grumpy (hanging on to her MAD), but much looser, and mom felt baby was more comfortable than before.

Being a chiropractic patient myself, for back and neck problems, I could extrapolate to what the chiro was doing.  It made sense.  Made sense?
Rang bells!!

Sincerely,  Chanita

----------
Sent:   Thursday, September 11, 1997 6:48 PM
Subject:        BF INFANT  SEVERE GAS AND FUSSY

Talked to a mom today she complains  that her bf infant  who is 5 weeks  of age and receiving only breastmilk is very gassy and fussy.  The infant is on Bethancol and Zantec for reflux without much improvement.  She is also using gavasicon with no improvement.  She has omitted all dairy products in her diet for 1 week still no improvement.  I suggested that she either breastfeed on one breast per feeding or to pump times 5 minutes then put the infant to the breast  to see if there is a lactose intolerence problem, because there is more lactose in the foremilk.  The infant is bf every 2 to 3 hrs and is gaining wt. well.   Hope I am on the right track.  Please HELP?  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Also the infant is having a sufficient amt. of stools and urine.  The color of the stools are the normal color of yellow.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions to pass on to the mother.

Amy Sanders LVN,IBCLC
Texas

ATOM RSS1 RSS2