From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:21:26 -0400
Hi LactNetters,
    I know that many are tired of  Princess Di, any/all discussion on
her, and that we should let her rest. However since the posts began,
another aspect of this issue popped into my head. I have been out of
town and running many errands and this is the first time, I've had to
write.  The actual discussion should be boiled down to yes or no.
    What came immediately to my mind was Roxanne Pulitzer, who in her
book The Prize Pulitzer, stated how she wanted to breastfeed and mother
her twins but that Peter demanded that life go on as it had before the
boys were born. As soon as was possible, she had to return to his
afternoon 'naps' (read sex there) and insisted on a trip (just the two
of them) to Colorado (I believe) at 10 weeks after the boys' birth. Both
he and the nanny were incensed when Roxanne would get up in the night
and go to the boys.
    These are aspects we deal with to some degree in any society or
culture, but somehow are 'managed' (coerced) with different weapons
(money, position, power, etc.) and/or different 'constrants' (threats)
are used (divorce, poverty, loss of power, etc.) are used to keep the
mother in line. To discuss the famous/ celebrity, different ethnic,
socio-economic, educational, and age groups moms helps us all form
ideas, criteria, suggestions and information to be able to deal with the
myriad of women we will encounter. Even though it may appear as
intrusion, morbid fascination, invasion of privacy or just plain gossip,
it will accomplish something positive if we move beyond did she or
didn't she and emphasize the issues involved and encountered by a mother
in her unique situation. The sharing may help someone on LactNet assist
a mother down the road in the future and I feel that is what one of
LactNet's goals is.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY
"Remember that your children are not your own, but are lent to you by
the Creator." Mohawk Proverb