From:
Mike and Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 22:04:34 -0400
I'm interested in but slightly depressed by the posts on pumping for premie
babies. Are these guidelines so Moms will have enough milk for the babies,
or so their own milk supply will be established? Since I recently started
taking Medicaid I've been working with many young Moms and premies from
less than ideal backgrounds. I feel lucky if I get to Mom within a week of
the baby's birth and I can persuade her to pump every four hours! Many Moms
are pumping at the hospital but only have a hand pump at home and the
hospital doesn't bother to tell them what to do. Once I get them the
electric pump- is it realistic to advise such Moms to pump every four hours
and they'll be OK - or is that simply not enough?
Anne Merewood