From:
Curtis Seyfried <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 11:49:38 -0500
For Discussion. Please read carefully and fully, do not use this advice
until a full discussion and understanding has occured.

Iam new to this list and know a little about bees.  I have also studied
Western  &  chinese herbal medicine, Homeopathic medicine, aromatherapy and
other alternative therapies for 26 years now.
From this I feel that I Might have somethig to offer this group.

From a herbal medicine (hm) perspective parasites of any form can only take
a foothold in, or on, an individual when their natural immune system is not
functioning properly.  This can be caused by many factors, environmental
stress and pollutatnt, poor nutrition, and others.

It seems to me that bees, like other life forms, would naturally be able to
throw off parasitic mites if their immune systems were functioning
normally. Cats and Dogs can be rid of fleas and other parasites by
including in the diet nutritional supplements that parasites dislike :
Garlic, Brewers Yeast, Thiamine (a B vitamin).  I have also rid my cats of
tape worms by using an old antibiotic remedy called "Colloidial Silver"
(CS).  CS is a titration (minute dilution) of the metal silver in deionized
water.  It is created through an electrochemical process and creates a 1
part per million or lower concentration.

I am not recomending any of these to be given to bees, just discussing them
so far.

Herbally Echinacea (Echinacea Augustofolia ),  AKA. Purple Cone Flower, is
an immune system strengthener.  Golden Seal  (Hydrastis Canadensis L. ) is
also an immune system herb, which also acts synergistically to strengthen
the action of herbs it is combined with. Marigold ( Calendula Officianalis
) is also another healer, it also is resinous which might increase propolis
production. There are other herbs I will get to in later discussions.

Possibly if Echinacea, Goldenseal, Garlic and Calendula were planted in
proximity to the hives, thusly allowing the bees to pollinate the flowers
and pick up the healing properties, this MAY help.

Direct administration of these herbs to bees would be dangerous as the
quantities to be given is difficult, to say the least, to determine.

BUT, Homeopathic titrations of these herbs could be administered SAFELY to
bees in sugar water. Homeopathy takes the original substance and dilutes
(titrates) it many times. After this process there is CHEMICALLY no trace
of the original chemicals present.  Homeopathy believes that the ENERGY of
the substance is what effects the cure, and is what is transferred in the
titration process. Homeopathy has been used extensively in treating babies
and in vetinary medicine for its safety and NON-poisonous nature.

Well enough for now, I'll add more at a later time.

Peace and Good Health, (;->)
Curtis Seyfried
[log in to unmask] ,   [log in to unmask]
CS Enterprises     POB. 110675     Brooklyn, NY. 11211  (718) 599-2458
Consultant, B.Sc. - Environmental & Life Sciences, MA. - Environmental
                      Policy Studies and Analysis - SUNYESC, 1992-97
Diplomas - New York University - Paralegal Studies, 1995 & Building
               Construction Project Management, 1988.

Promoting local economic growth through the formation of cooperative
businesses, revolving around food waste composting, local/regional high
value agriculture, and cooperative marketing.
Waste-to-fertilizer-to-food-to jobs.