Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 20:33:27 +1000
>I made a connection about three years ago between complaints of
>"gassiness/fussiness" in the baby and possible yeast/thrush.
>
>I had the opportunity to ask Kay "Thrush" Hoover :) about this before
>ILCA and she had not really made this connection

Sandy, perhaps Kay's response wasn't clear at that time. When I was writing
the LC Series on Candida and breastfeeding with Kay and Chris Mulford
(starting in 1991), Kay would always be putting in bits about the baby being
"gassy" - and I was always putting in "possibly gassy" or that sort of
thing. Kay certainly believed thrush could cause babies to be fussy and
gassy. I still think it is possible,  but nothing definite has been documented.
I asked a question about this on Lactnet on 24 Aug 1996, so you could look
in the archives for replies in the week or so following.
Re the Australian hold: like Joy, I think this refers to posture feeding ie
mother lying on her back (Australians were supposed to have more milk ;)?).
I had to laugh when Jeanette thought it was to do with mum being "down
under" - we don't think we are "down under" anything... It also goes to show
that we should use terms that are clearer (eg "underarm hold" rather than
"clutch" or "football" or other culturally-related terms).
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia - where Spring is springing!