Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sandy Hess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 08:55:42 -0400
My name is Sandy Hess.  My background includes being a LLL member, LLL
leader, hospital based lactation consultant, community based childbirth
educator, L&D staff nurse,  breastpump rental station proprietor, sales
rep for a breastfeeding products company, and most importantly, wife of
a wonderful man and mom to three (now teenage and one 20) boys who were
breastfed.  To briefly give you an idea of my passion for moms and
babies, when I was in nursing (i.e. BSN ;)  ) school, one of my
classmates published a little ditty about what each of us did in our
spare time.  She wrote about me, "Sandy spends her free time protecting
the rights of pregnant women everywhere."   A dear friend would
occasionally advise me "You can't rescue all women".  And, I've learned
that I can't.  But, WE can tremendously help those who want objective
and correct information which respects each woman's right to own her
decision.  Someone once said, everyone has the right to learn and grow.

I, too, have learned and grown.  My experience as a sales rep for a
small breastfeeding products company, as well as my experience as a pump
rental station proprietor for a large BF products company has taught me
that, in this business, the bottom line IS the bottom line.  I believe
that while there is a general desire to assist women with breastfeeding,
BFPs companies need to assume more responsibility in providing
information which will not sabotage (inadvertantly or not), a mom's BF
experience.  For a start, I would like to see ACCURATE ADVERTISING on
packaging.  If a product has a life expectency of 150 hours, because it
uses a motor with that capacity, it should be stated on that package.  I
would like to see companies state things like "This product is intended
for OCCASIONAL pumping use. (Example:  2 to 3 session per week to store
enough for the sitter to give by cup, bottle, or other method when mom
is away for one or two feeding sessions.)  THIS PUMP IS NOT INTENDED FOR
FREQUENT USE."  I think everyone gets the idea.  Also, if parts are NOT
interchangeable with other products by the same company, this, too,
should be noted on the packaging.  I have been working at a women's
center which rents pumps and we have had problems with moms who come to
us for adaptor kits and then complain that their pump doesn't work.
Unfortunately they wasted $$$ on a retail pump which they could not use
for their current situation, and had to spend more $$$ on the "right
pump for the right use".  This benefits only ONE member of the
manufacturer/distributor, retail sales, customer triangle (or whatever,
depending on  from how many retailers the mom purchased "pieces").

Also, I would like to see a clear definition of a "hospital grade" pump.
I spoke with an engineer who worked for a MAJOR BFP company for several
years, designing pumps.  He said that "hospital grade" referred to
"longevity".  According to this definition, many "hospital grade" or
"hospital quality" pumps in the retail market are not truly "hospital
.....".  Many women will purchase a pump with a variety of whistles and
bells thinking it will adequately serve their needs, only to find out
that within months it breaks down.

These suggestions on complete truth and equity in advertising are for
all breastpump companies, not just one or two.  I was amazed to see some
of the tactics used by sales reps which were anything but accurate.  One
told a client that they had a "secret agreement with the FDA" re: the
need to sterile-pack hospital use pumps!  Other reps discussed the
safety hazards of electromagnetic radiation produced by competitors
products, even though CBS had just aired a story stating that "after
over 700 studies over 17 years, there was NO evidence of this being a
problem."

I would like to see ILCA or someone develop a position paper about
issues like this and about pressure pump companies have historically
placed on LCs to carry only their line of products.  LCs should be free
to serve the needs of the mother, from whatever VARIETY of products they
choose to carry, based on the LCs own criteria of what products would
better meet the needs of her population.  I wonder just how many LCs
have experienced a heavy handed approach from BFPs.

Over the years, I have had a lot of opportunities, some painful, all
informative, to grow.  Over the next period of time, I will be sharing
and asking questions.  I really look forward to learning from Lactnet,
now that I feel like a free agent, "plain ol' LC" again.

Sandy Hess, RN, BSN, ICCE, IBCLC