From:
"Lori J. Lerman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 08:59:54 -0400
I'm looking for information and opinions on assessment tools being used
in hospital maternity units.  The hospital where I work as an LC is
currently using LATCH scores, but many of us feel that we could do
better with a more reliable, consistent, and "user-friendly" model.  One
of the speakers at the ILCA conference referred to a tool that used such
designations as EBF (excellent breastfeeding), GBF (good breastfeeding),
etc., with fairly specific descriptions of what constituted each
designation.  Is anyone using this?  Do you have mothers rating their
own perception of how breastfeeding is going, or are only the nurses
doing the assessment?  Do you find that the assessment tool you are
using is able to predict to any degree whether the mother will still be
breastfeeding on discharge or after a period of days or weeks at home?
Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Lori Lerman, R.N. and CLC in Massachusetts