From:
Anne Robb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 00:45:41 -0700
Hi and thanks to all who offered support and ideas for this case. I have a
very happy, but still mysterious update...

Baby is home after a gazillion tests with no answers. He is on a combination
of breast and supplement with haberman with EBM and donor milk.
Breastfeeding is going rollercoaster, today very very well.

I went over Monday after a bad night, Mom and Dad wanted to try and SNS,
baby fought it, Mom didn't want to continue at the breast -- both too tired
so he was finger feeding with the SNS when he turned blue again, really
really really blue. So much blue that I was concerned enough to pick him up
from mom's lap -- it took him a good 15 minutes to get back to pinker --
still blue around mouth and up forehead. I strongly urged them to call the
HCP immediately as I was WAY out of my "league" here. I felt nervous about
being so adament they call and get him seen right way -- didn't want to
scare them, etc. etc., but jeeze louise he looked really bad! I also had
suggested that they think about going to the major children's hospital in
the state, as good as the local mds might have seemed, they just don't see
many sick sick babies here and could be missing something... but again I
felt like I was dancing into tricky territory there... But why is this kid
turning so many shades of blue if 'everything' is normal????? Blue ain't
normal!!!!

I asked them, what did they tell you at discharge to do if he turned blue
again? Mom replied, they didn't -- she didn't think they thought that way,
he hadn't turned blue for two days in hospital therefore he was fine...

Baby was fine by the time the MD saw him, temp fine, no blue, etc. MD said
to look at nail beds and lips and not to worry so much about the rest of him...

Mom called tonight to thank me for the level of my concern and that going in
was the best thing for them all bc he was weighed and had regained his
birthweight!!!!!! adn now mom felt like she could relax and just feed him --
meaning at the breast and not worry about making sure she didn't "overtax"
him with the struggles to get him to latch on... Mom has also taken up all
the baby contact (grandma and dad had been doing a lot of the feeds by
bottle and overnight care, etc) mom feels this is making ehr more "intuned"
to his cues and knowing what his signals mean.

We talked about how good nursing days might be followed by not so good
nursing days, but that more and  more good days would eventually be the
rule... Mom is feeling good about fenugreek/thistle/hops/etc infusion tea,
from her midwife having increased her supply pretty well.

Will call me with updates, good updates in addition to questions... that's
what has been so great about working with these people, they recognized the
need to let me know things were going well and they appreciated my time and
concern! <beam>

Sorry this is soooo long, it's been a tough week and it's good to share this!

Anne E. Robb, MAT, LLLL
Off on a Tangent, Oregon, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]