Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 07:51:04 -0500
Well, here we go again.  Where is the proof that allopurinol is contraindicated during
breastfeeding?

Although allopurinol is well absorbed from the gi tract, and although there is virtually no
protein binding of allopurinol in the serum of the mother, the concentrations in the blood are
low.  Allopurinol has an active metabolite, but this too is present only in small concentrations.
We often treat children wiht allopurinol.

The mother needs to take this information, be aware of the risks of not breastfeeding and then
make her own decision with the help of her partner.  Ex cathedra pronouncements by
physicians---arrggh!  If I were in her place, no one could stop me from breastfeeding my baby.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC