Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:49:04 -0500
I agree with Kathy Dettwyler.  I am a physician, and I do not take
offence at what is said about some physicians.  I don't, as a
pediatrician, take personally the fact that *wherever* I speak, I am
told by nurses that they are all for breastfeeding, but it is the
doctors who are undermining the mothers, by doctors that they are all
for breastfeeding, but it is the nurses that are undermining
breastfeeding, and by *everyone* that it is the pediatricians who are
the worst.  Indeed, I agree that pediatricians, *in general* are the
worst offenders and the least knowledgeable, and neonatologists *in
general* are right at the top of the worst.  And the problem is they
*think* they know about breastfeeding, which is so frustrating!!!!  I
would also point out that the barbs are often sent at others, not just
physicians.  We had a bit of a field day with OT's here a while ago,
right Barb?  I don't think the OT's took these criticisms as personally
directed at them.  I would hope that we all have open minds and are
willing to learn and willing to be criticised.  I understand Dr.
Salomon's concerns, and we should never tar everyone with the same
brush.  When the topic of stupid advice comes up, it is understood that,
usually, the information comes second hand (from the mother), and, given
that proviso, the advice is ***stupid***, with a capital "stupid".  And
when these health professionals are not willing to learn or keep an open
mind, this is really sad, and they deserve to be lambasted.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC