From:
DANI HUDSPETH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 20:28:51 -0500
Hi, everyone!
New Orleans was great, wasn't it? I learned so much, but I think I need Alison Hazelbaker to come to work with me - I'm not  quite sure of myself and these short frenulums, yet!!
I am working with an antepartum mom right now - she likes to research info in advance.  She's been hospitalized in her 28th week.  She has a rare autoimmune disease called Myositis.  Characterized by elevated CPK levels, muscle weakness etc.  Involves chronic muscle inflammation.  It's estimated that each year 5-10 out of every one million people gets a form of this disease.  It affects more women than men.  Usual treatment is steroids.  This mom has a history of rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis. She was just diagnosed with Myositis in July, although I certainly believe that the arthritis, psoriasis and myositis are all related (IMO).  Dermatomyositis is the type that she has - which would explain the psoriasis.
My question - have any of you all dealt with this condition in a pregnant  or lactating mom?  She is having trouble consuming enough calories to promote adequate weight gain (5,000 calorie/day diet right now).  She is concerned (and justifiably so) about how lactation and mothering will affect her physicial condition.  She is not overly committed to breastfeeding, but would rather like to do it for 6-8 weeks, then re-evaluate her feelings.  I just met her today, so I did not want to bombard her with information on breastmilk as related to autoimmune diseases - the poor woman could hardly talk, she gets out of breath so easily right now!!  Anyway, if anyone has any light on this subject, i would certainly appreciate all the help I can get.  Thanks so much!!

Dani Hudspeth RN, BSN, IBCLC
Dallas, TX