Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Gloria Buoncristiano-Thai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:35:53 -1000
Comments:
Pam,

My husband is in the Air Force, but I think the regulations are the
same---then again maybe not. :)  As for the Air Force, moms get 6 wks of
maternity leave.  If they have extra leave time saved, many will add that
on to the maternity leave.  20 weeks into the pregnancy, enlisted women
are given the option of getting out of the military.  Unfortunately, it
still comes down to the fact that your *** belongs to Uncle Sam.  That is
made clear when you enlist.  WHo knows how you are going to feel when you
become a mother years down the road when you are enlisting at the young
age of 17.  Some of the moms I have worked with did not realize until
after baby came, they did not want to leave that baby.  It's very heart
breaking at times, especially when a mom must leave her baby for a
temporary duty assignment for 3 to 6 months.  Not to mention the remote
tours (no family) for a year.  It does not matter if you are a mother nor
does it matter if you are breastfeeding.  That's the hard cold facts of
military life.  I won't say it is hopeless.  Her commanding officer may
be willing to help.  Also a doctor who is knowledgeable on breastfeeding
might be able to help.  The latter is sorely lacking in the military;
however, I do know of one fine military pediatrician who is a lurker on
Lactnet. :)

ALOHA,
Gloria Thai LLLLeader Hawai'i