From:
Cathy Carothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:25:44 CDT
Promotion Project...this is an exciting national campaign that is very
comprehensive...includes items for consumer education (pamphlets and
posters), as well as for public information (television and radio spots and
billboards).  The theme: "Loving Support Makes Breastfeeding Work."   The
television spots are wonderful...featuring babies (and not all tiny ones,
either!) giving practical advice about breastfeeding.

Research was conducted in the 10 pilot states in 1996.  (We feel fortunate
that our state of Mississippi was selected...with one of the lowest
breastfeeding rates in the country, we had nowhere to go but UP!)  Research
results revealed that major barriers to breastfeeding among WIC clients are
embarrassment (64% said they couldn't handle this issue!), time and social
constraints (including workplace issues), and lack of support from family and
friends.  Those of us who work with WIC clients regularly were not surprised.

These issues affect ALL moms, whether WIC or not.  The campaign is designed
to increase public awareness and acceptance of breastfeeding.  Here in
Mississippi, we're hoping we can desensitize our population so they can begin
to say the WORD "breastfeeding" without scrunching up their noses.  We're
airing spots for a full 3 months, and billboards are going up statewide.
We're also running newspaper ads in all community weekly newspapers.  We've
used this "foot in the door" to provide training in all of our health
department clinics and to educate hospitals and physicians.

MANY exciting things are already happening...from major department stores
opening pumping/nursing stations for mall shoppers and employees, and many
requests for training.  Statewide, we have maternity "baby showers" for our
patients and receptions for breastfeeding moms scheduled all month
long...even a "Breastfeeding Day" at the Jackson Zoo.  We can hardly keep up
with the activity!

Let me know if you hear the spots if you live in a surrounding state!  I'd
love to hear how far the campaign reaches.  Look me up at ILCA Conference if
you'd like to know more about our efforts here.  I'm also bringing a video of
the spots with me.  I believe there will be an exhibit, as well, with copies
of the materials.

Cathy Carothers, IBCLC
State WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator