From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 1997 08:02:00 -0400
Hi all

Debi asked:

>I have a counselor who needs specific advice on how to position the
>baby in the football hold with a mom who has large, pendulous breasts.
>Is it better to put the baby on its side or on its back?

The answer to that question has to be whatever position aligns the baby so
that he is looking straight at the breast when he feeds. There's nothing
inherently better about having baby on his side (I don't think, anyway)
other than for most women who's breasts point more or less out, putting baby
on his side allows him to put lunch straight in front of his face without
having to turn his head.

As long as baby is comfortable and can swallow in whatever position, then
you just need to match the baby's position to the size and shape of the
mother's breasts.

The book _Bestfeeding_ by Renfroe, Fisher, and Arms has a great section on
bf with large breasts, including using a belt or scarf around the neck and
under a breast to use as a third hand.

Hope this helps.

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC
Huntingdon, Tennessee