From:
Lynn Moony <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:36:54 -2
Linda C...
The most understandable article about "Jaundice in the Term Well
Neonate" that I have read, was written by a S.A. paediatrician,
Stephen Wainer in a local paed. magazine, Pedmed, May/June 1991.  He
has apparently since emigrated to Canada if any of the Canadians want
to try and track him down.  He describes early onset physiological
jaundice as "formula-fed *hypo*bilirubinaemia syndrome" and the late
onset jaundice as "breastmilk jaundice syndrome".  In the latter
case, he emphasises that if breastfeeding is suspended for 24-48
hours because of a rapid increase in serum bilirubin, it should be
made clear to the mother that there is nothing wrong with her milk,
and that breastfeeding will be re-instituted as soon as the bilirubin
subsides.  He notes that this strategy does carry the risk of
undermining confidence in breastfeeding in some mothers.

Is it still recommended that bf  be suspended in cases of a rapid
increase in late onset jaundice?  I seem to remember reading
somewhere that it may not be necessary.
Lynn Moony
Johannesburg, South Africa