From:
Sue Petracek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:55:17 -0000
Anne,

I am often in this same situation - an outsider offering support for a
mom whose baby is in NICU.

Since I am around frequently at the same hospitals, have a relationship
with many on their staff, they know why I am asking for information about
the baby. They give me their general feel on what the mom needs and how
the baby is doing so that I can better support the mom. We don't get into
the details of baby's condition or treatment. I hope this is not a breech
of confidentiality. It seems to me a natural part of working as a team
for the interests of the baby & mom.

In the case of Medicaid billing and preauthorizations for various HMO's,
it is necessary for me to have some of the specifics (weight, problems,
prognosis) to even attempt the preauthorization.

Regarding follow-up with these moms: frequently when I am at the hospital
for a new mom, I will see a mom (who is renting a pump from us) at her
baby's bedside. I often use that as an informal opportunity to check how
things are going for her.

Sue Petracek              * [log in to unmask]
Bosom Buddies, Inc.       * www.bosombuddies.com
(888) 860-0041 Toll Free  * Helping mothers breastfeed successfully