From:
"Dr. Arun Nair" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 21:02:51 +0400
 We have recently come out with a feeding protocol for management of
hypoglycemia using a cut off level of 2.6 mmol. This is undergoing field
trial at the various hospitals in Oman. The priliminary reports shows that
it does not increase the use of breast milk substitutes or increase the use
of IV glucose. On the positive side it seems to have eliminated the
confusion that existed among the workers with regards to the approach to
management of borderline hypoglycemia ( blood glucose 2.00 - 2.6 mmol/l) in
at risk babies. We are strongly against the use of oral glucose or formula.

A good article to read in this regard " Neonatal hypoglycemia - blood
glucose monitoring and baby feeding.
 J M Hawdon, M P Ward Platt, A Aynsley- Green: Midwifery(1993)9, 3-6". Our
protocol is based on this paper. If any one is interested in the protocol,
I will be happy to forward it.

Sincerely

Arun Nair MD
Muscat, Oman

----------
> From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Recipients of LACTNET digests <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: LACTNET Digest - 28 Oct 1997 to 29 Oct 1997 - Special issue
> Date: Wednesday, October 29, 1997 8:38 PM

> Topics in this special issue:
>
>   1. Combined pill and weaning
>   2. Caffeine and Breastfeeding
>   3. intrathecals
>   4. Ovarian Cancer/ Christiane Northrup's book
>   5. Low blood glucose levels and conservatism.
>   6. Mare's Milk
>   7. gravely ill babies
>   8. Thallium
>   9. Your message on NICU-NET (fwd)
>

> To post a note  to the 1500+ subscribers of  LACTNET, send your note to
> To change your subscription options as in those listed below, send
computer
> commands listed below, via e-mail to:

>      To restart mail after being nomail -------------- SET LACTNET MAIL
>         For Information on other commands------------    HELP