From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 13:28:02 -0900
I have gathered from Lactnet discussions, and especially the excellent
input of Prof. Gartner from the Univ. of Chicago, that the issue of
iron supplements to breastfed babies is not cut and dried and is under
heavy debate. Since I am one of these stubborn people who is leery of
advising much of anything as a routine, I would tend not to recommend
routine iron supplementation at such-and-such age. What about the
lactoferrin in breastmilk? And what about the potential for
constipation with Fe? And most significantly, what about the question
of too much iron in the baby's gut interfering with natural flora?

Seems to me that there is not too much danger in considering this
problem on a case-to-case basis, that is, if the baby appears anemic, do
a simple blood test. If he is, then add iron. I really dislike
"routines" since they totally ignore the individual - and the longer I
am in this field, the more I have come to appreciate the considerable
individual differences both in the infant and in the mother, all
within the "normal". Sorry for the mini-soapbox.

Best regards. Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva, Israel