From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 22:21:13 +0900
>Questions:
>1)Do peaches benefit from bee pollination?  I've heard yes and no.

My reference book for nectar sources states that Apricots, Peaches and
Nectarines provide mainly stimulating nectar and small quantities of pollen
with a flowering period of 4 - 6 weeks.

>2)If so, what concentration per tree should I put in an orchard?

Recommended stocking rate 1 or 2 hives per hectar for apricots with lower
rates for peaches and nectarines as many varieties of these are self
pollinating although they may benefit from cross-pollination.

>3)What is the longest manageable distance for taking care of bees for a
>hobbyist/sideliner?

Well I did hear of one person in Adelaide with hives in Brisbane!  My
estimate of the distance is 1500 miles but I gather he only visited in order
to remove the honey once a year and this is not my idea of responsible
beekeeping.  I don't see any problem in driving for an hour or so to visit
the apiary and fit in some leisure activities. I do think you must visit
hives on at least a monthly basis during the active season to manage
effectively.

A friend in Maine tells me the fruit set on her apple orchard has been
considerably assisted by an observation hive brought by a beekeeper for
several days.  Establishing a local migratory route however does involve a
considerable commitment in time and equipment - those hives are heavy!

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]