From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:51:00 GMT
TW>From: Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
  >Date:         Thu, 31 Jul 1997 12:03:28 -0400
  >Subject:      Peaches for Pollination

  >1)Do peaches benefit from bee pollination?  I've heard yes and no.

My opinion based on the California Bee Experience....

There is always some difference between verities and growing areas, but
as a rule peach growers DO NOT want honeybees within several miles
because they "cost them money in hand thinning". Beekeepers know the
real reason is because they can not use the cheeper more toxic to bees
pesticides during the bloom they believe and are told by the chemical
hawkers and their field men from the university office they need to use
to control one insect or another.

I have never heard of a peach grower renting bees for pollination.
Honeybees do seek out peach bloom for pollen and small amounts of
watery nectar.

>So I'm not just looking for free peaches.  I want another palce to
>keep bees.  Hopefully there are other plants and trees that offer
>nectar in the area.

Find some citrus, at least you will have a shot at some honey production
to recover part of the cost of the pesticide damage.

ttul, the OLd Drone

---
 ~ QMPro 1.53 ~ If it's God's will, who gets the money?