From:
Carolyn Westcott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 22:14:46 +0100
At the risk of incurring everyone's wrath - I am with Sarah on this one.
As babies are supposed to be able to manage with any type of breast -
you should hear Choe Fisher on this one!- why do we bother to do a
breast exam? The recent research which was done, the MAIN TRIAL, showed
that interventions for inverted nipples had no effect. In fact the
control group, Mums with inverted nipples who did not use any antenatal
treatment, came off best.
The research was done well, I know because I took part in recruiting
women. Jo Alexander, who did the trial, told me that she felt that women
who were told that they may be going to have a problem with
breastfeeding gave up earlier than they might have done otherwise.
I never do a breast exam, but rely on good antenatal education and
skilled support afterwards. It certainly seems to work.
Chloe always maintains that there has never been a baby that she cannot
get onto the breast!
Now I have confessed my sins I will sit back and wait for the gasps of
horror! :)
Carolyn Westcott RN IBCLC