From:
"Vincent G. Huml" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 21:56:10 -0400
Sue Huml, LLLL, IBCLC
Lansinoh Laboratories

I completely agree with the statement in Lawrence that broken skin is the
portal of entry for bactieria (which can cause mastitis).

I have discussed nipple wounds with dermatologists and those involved in
wound care, and I have been a member of the Wound Healing Society for the
last four years.

 The skin is the largest organ of the human body, and, simple as this may
seem it is very true that:
        Unbroken skin is the best barrier against infection

Nipples ARE skin and broken skin, no matter where it occurs on the body
does open up an avenue for bacteria to infect and  infiltrate the
surrounding tissue.

Regards
Sue