Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:58:26 -0400
I am posting this at the request of a fellow LLL Leader, Angela
Love-Zaranka.  If anyone has any thoughts, please cc her at
[log in to unmask] as well as responding to the list.  Or, you may cc me
at [log in to unmask] and I can forward them myself.

Baby boy, DOB 6/1/97
umedicated home birth
BW 9.10 lbs
low weight 8.12 lbs
3 months 15.2 lbs
4 months (current) 15.12 lbs

Baby has gained only 10 ounces in last 35 days.  Head circumference and
length are WNL.  Baby has fat folds on legs but mother feels baby is
thin.  Baby saw pediatrician who is not concerned and requested followup
in 2 months.  Baby is meeting developmental milestones.  Mother is
concerned.

There are no supplements or maternal medications.  Mother's periods
returned at 2 months pp.  Baby likes to suck his thumb and does not like
to spend long periods of time at the breast.

The mother is on a severely restricted diet due to her (and baby's) food
sensitivities.  She eats no dairy, nuts, corn, wheat or soy.  Her main
sources of protein and calories come from vegetables and meats (chicken
or turkey only).

Mother is wondering if there is anything that raises a red flag for you
and more specifically, if her restricted diet could play a role.  Would
increasing her fat intake help the baby? I am thinking it would not and
Lawrence appears to confirm this.

If you look at the baby's gain over the four month period, he is within
a normal range of weight gain, and I did point this out. It is the slow
growth in the last month that is concerning the mother.  He seems to
have fallen off his own growth curve.  Could this be a case of normal
leveling out that isn't usually seen until the second half of the first
year?  I suggested waiting another month and doing another check but
mother was not comfortable with that idea.  Meanwhile, she is going to
nurse the baby whenever she sees the thumb go in!

I'd appreciate any ideas!

Kathy Koch
LLL Leader
Great Mills, MD