Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 14:03:16 +1000
Hi from ''Baby Friendly Victoria'', the BFHI committee in Victoria, Australia!
The BFHI Update went well yesterday.  About 60-70 people, lots of comment from the floor.  Practical discussion on clinical questions such as the baby who does not want to nurse; the mother who has gestational diabetes and does not want her child to have abm; the baby who is mildly dehydrated, milk not ''in'', &c - when (and if) to begin supplementation.  Perhaps we would not agonise over these issues to the same degree if we could access banked milk!  Australia has not yet come to terms with the potential hazards of early introduction of cow's milk.  One suggestion was that perhaps the more expensive elemental formula should be used in cases where supplementation is considered necessary.
The value of consumer review of hospital practices was stressed - that the care provided in hospitals is understood from the woman's perspective, and judged according to the impact the care has on the woman and her child.
I think it was a very valuable time - we didn't come up with easy answers to the question "when should you begin supplementing breastfeeding'' - but we explored some of the issues.  It was difficult to finish the session.
We expect a number of Victorian hospitals to achieve the global "Baby Friendly" award in the near future.  I wonder if retrospective analysis of breastfeeding rates will show a concurrent improvement?
We want to encourage all who are implementing the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative in maternity units to persevere with the work, bringing to an end hospital practices which have been shown to have a negative impact on breastfeeding outcomes.

Joy Johnston, for ''Baby Friendly Victoria"