From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 00:06:21 EDT
I have always assumed that water-based gentian violet would definitely be
preferable due to the pain/irritation anything alcohol-based would cause to
already damaged tissue.  However, it is impossible to find anything but
alcohol-based G.V. in my city and because of this I've been reluctant to
recommend it.  The last time I had a mother use it she bought 1% in alcohol and
diluted it half and half with water so she had a 1/2% solution and less alcohol.
She tried it on herself first and said it didn't hurt, which surprised me.  I'm
guessing that G.V. is equally effective in water or alcohol, but I'm curious
whether any damage has been caused if the alcohol version is used on non-intact
skin or mucous membrane.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC, Appleton, WI