Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
The Shillings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 13:22:36 -0600
In regards to minimums for mother baby friendly status in the workplace...
have you thought about addressing a minimum paid maternity leave policy?  I
have worked with lots of moms who are going back to work a week or two
after their baby's birth because they need the money.  I would hate to see
their places of work called mother friendly - just because the business has
a closet, a bathroom, has done a one hour in-service on breastfeeding and
allows mom to pump on her morning break and lunch.  I'm not sure how to
determine a minimum supported leave.  I think it would be important to
address the fact that unpaid leave is not always an option for low paid
women.  Allowing a six week leave and supporting a six week leave are two
different things.

I was fortunate when I went back to work with my first (now  9), our
hospital had an on-site baby care center so I never had to pump and just
nursed him on my breaks. I think they would deserve the title of
mother-baby friendly even though they may not have met the other proposed
criteria.

Teri Shilling, MS, IBCLC
back on-line after moving from West Virginia to Colorado.